Motivate your students with this fun, "Getting to Know You" writing lesson! Students create free verse poems about themselves and their interests while gaining practice using descriptive language and details. Attractive handouts take students through all steps of the writing process. Final student pieces, which include visuals and a “selfie” photo, make a gorgeous classroom display students LOVE to look at!
Here's what's included:
1. SELFIE FREE VERSE POEM – This page presents the key requirements, explains how to begin, and provides examples of vivid sentences to get the students thinking.
2. BRAINSTORM FOR IDEAS – Students use this page in the brainstorming process. Twenty-five different topic examples are presented to jump-start student thinking.
3. ROUGH DRAFT PAGE – A neatly-lined and sectioned page for students to use for drafting.
4. STRONG WORDS AND SENTENCE STARTER EXAMPLES – A reference page for students while they draft--includes a variety of descriptive synonyms for commonly-used words and examples of different ways to begin sentences.
5. ADDING DETAILS TO SENTENCES – This page provides a sentence expanding example and then directs students to revise their draft by adding details and noting their revisions.
6. USING ADJECTIVES FOR VIVID DESCRIPTION – This page provides a descriptive paragraph with vivid adjectives—students identify the adjectives and then make revisions to their draft adding adjectives.
7. REVISING/EDITING CHECKLIST – Eight criteria are neatly listed on a checklist for students to follow as they revise and edit.
8. SELFIE DRAWING TEMPLATES – Four different-sized cell phone images are provided for students who prefer to draw their selfie photo.
9. FINAL STEPS HANDOUT – A checklist-style directions sheet for typing the poem in its proper form, adding the required visuals, printing, and turning in
10. SCORING RUBRIC – A 4-point scoring rubric to grade the final writing pieces
11. TEACHER GUIDELINES AND COMMON CORE STANDARDS – Step-by-step directions for teaching this lesson are provided, along with a list of embedded ELA Common Core Standards.
If you’re looking to jump into some key writing skills, learn more about your students, allow for differentiation, and create an outstanding wall display, you’ll definitely enjoy this resource!
Please open the PREVIEW to take a look.
You may also like these Common Core-aligned resources:
Narrative Writing - Personal Narrative Unit Grades 5 - 8
Task Cards for Better Writing: BUNDLE
---Yes! Join my list to receive Teaching Tips, New Product Updates, and FREEBIES from Joy