Also included in
- SAVE TIME and MONEY! This bundle includes every single Educircles resource on my TpT store. ⭐ NINETEEN (19) people have purchased the EVERTYHING BUNDLE so far! When you buy this resource, please email me at Mike@educircles.org - I want to make sure you find what you need! TEACHER FEEDBACK about the$138.73$274.46Save $135.73
Help students develop SELF-AWARENESS and SELF-MANAGEMENT through goal setting.
Real-world Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) for Middle School and High School that isn't baby-ish.
⭐ Can your students buy into my origin story?
If so, they MIGHT buy into the message behind this product.
Let's be honest. School can be tough. Life can be tough.
You can lead a horse to water, but it doesn't mean they will make lemonade. Cliches are everywhere and different things work for different people (including SEL programs your school bought for you.)
MY ORIGIN STORY:
- My name is Michael Fuchigami.
- I used to be a Grade 8 teacher.
- Then, something happened, and I fell into a mental health crisis.
- Sometimes bad things happen that are out of your control.
- I didn't ask for my life to change, but I had to take responsibility and ownership to get myself back to a better place.
- I’m still working to figure out how to turn the worst moment of my life into the best moment of my life.
- It's been three years since my life changed. Things are getting better, but I still have to make my way through good moments and challenging ones.
Setting goals isn't a "school" thing. It's a life thing. Chances are, at some point, you've wanted more out of life. It might be an academic goal, although it doesn't have to be. Maybe you want something. Maybe you want to do something. Maybe you want to be something.
⭐ If you think you and your students can relate to my origin story, keep reading.
Otherwise, check this out: OMG!
Teachers, I appreciate that now is a crazy time to be a teacher. The job has changed so much. It's not what many of us signed up for.
- If your mental health is struggling, please consider reaching out for help.
When I was in crisis, I called an anonymous crisis line which helped me (in addition to all of the friends, family, and professional help that I had engaged.)
There can be a lot of stigma behind mental health challenges. One of the things that helped me decide to make my mental health a priority was because another teacher I respected led by example. That teacher was one of the strongest teachers I knew. If that person could be assertive to take care of themselves, then it felt like it gave me permission to take care of myself, too.
Your mental health matters. You are not alone.
- If you teach Grades 6-12 and one of my resources might help, but you're not in a financial position to buy it, please email me at Mike@educircles.org and say the phrase, "puppies are a lot of work."
- SEOT is something I came up with after I gave up my teaching license (Jan 2019). What got me through my mental health crisis was thinking about the 6Cs of Education. Social-Emotional Learning skills literally saved my life, although at the time, I wasn't familiar with that term. In our school board, we called it New Pedagogies for Deep Learning or 21st Century Global Competencies. Read more.
⭐ Who is this resource for?
- Middle School and High School teachers
- ELA teachers, homeroom, advisory, guidance teachers
- Any teacher who wants to use chunks before or after class to help build transferrable life skills with their students.
- Your students who are struggling. Elementary school sometimes seems to give bonus marks for effort (Oh, they tried so hard...) But very quickly in middle school and high school, just because you try hard doesn't mean you get the grade, make the team, or pass the course. The SEOT Wheel of Success explains the difference between pure effort and working smarter.
- Your A+ students who do well in school. Your best students probably need these lessons more than your struggling students with all due respect. If school comes easily to you, you never have to learn how to struggle. Things are easy... until they're not. I was a gifted, straight-A student, did everything I was supposed to, had a job that I loved and thought I would do until I retired... until everything changed. I would encourage my strong students to choose real-world goals (instead of academic goals, which might be too easy for them.) What do they want in life? To be financially stable? Rich? Healthy? Happy? In a wonderful relationship? To feel happy with their body image?
⭐ Teacher Feedback
"I highly recommend this bundle to middle and high school teachers. This doesn't need to be used in just an English class. Teachers could use these lessons in small chunks as a warm-up or closing activity to help build further relationships with students and the importance of goal setting. Thank you for creating this and making those edits, Mike!" - Jessica T, 9th-grade teacher.
- This teacher had some initial concerns with the resource.
- I updated the bundle for everyone based on her fantastic constructive feedback.
- Please check out her question in the Q&A section as well as her full review to get the complete story!
⭐ This goal-setting bundle has received a lot of honest, constructive feedback (check out the comments!)
- I use this feedback to improve the product.
- Please look at the PREVIEW PDF which shows a watermarked copy of what you get, including a detailed lesson plan.
- If you have any questions, please email me at Mike@educircles.org
⭐ This goal-setting bundle requires SOME PREP.
Individual resources in the bundle might be EASY PREP:
- print handout,
- show slideshow or video,
However, figuring out how all of the individual resources fit together in the bundle requires some prep time.
- Once you purchase this bundle, click the GREEN DOWNLOAD button to get a zip file containing all of the other zip file resources.
- There is a BONUS PDF file in the zip file. START HERE!
- The BONUS PDF has a FILE TABLE of CONTENTS. Use the one-click links to get the files you need in each lesson.
- The BONUS PDF also has a link to download the lesson plan for the bundle.
- If you have any questions, please email me at Mike@educircles.org
Updated for 2022.
- Includes 10 SEOT goal-setting products.
- Amazing slideshow lesson uses a graphic organizer to show how to work smarter (and not harder.)
- Watch motivational videos.
- Print or edit handouts.
- Use this package, again and again, every year!
⭐ IMPORTANT "January 5, 2022" UPDATE - PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU BUY!
⭐ Before January 6 (4 AM Eastern Time), this bundle was confusing to use.
- It included 9 products
- It wasn't obvious where to start or how to find the files to teach.
- The individual products were no prep, just print. If you bought a single product with a FILE Table of Contents, you simply click the link, print the PDF, load the video or slideshow, and teach.
- But figuring out the bundle required work.
⭐ This bundle is now MUCH easier to use.
⭐ You still need to spend some prep time to figure out how the bundle works, BUT it now has a File Table of Contents as the "BONUS FILE" in this bundle.
⭐ Please look at the PREVIEW PDF. It contains the complete BONUS FILE so you can see how this product is organized. Please email me at Mike@educircles.org or ask below in the Q&A if you have any questions.
- I have come up with a suggested 12 DAY plan to teach all of the content in this bundle (BONUS PDF, page 3)
- NOTE: Lessons vary from 20 to 60 minutes each day. (BONUS PDF, page 2)
- You can use the (optional) comprehensive 47-page lesson plan to help you get the most out of this bundle. Download the bundle lesson plan using the link in the BONUS PDF (page 2.) You can also see the entire lesson plan in the product preview.
- Links to the NO PREP, JUST PRINT files can be found in the BONUS PDF. (pages 4-15)
- The BONUS PDF explains how to find the links to EDIT the files and handouts (page 1)
⭐ Did you purchase this product before January 6, 2022 (4 AM Eastern Time)? Do you want to provide feedback? The first 3 teachers to email Mike@educircles.org with the following information will receive a $10 TpT gift card.
- Do you find this updated bundle easier to use?
- How could I make this bundle even easier for you or your students?
- If you tell me the name on your TpT account and confirm that you bought this bundle before January 6, 2022, I would be more than happy to send you a $10 TpT gift card in exchange for your email thoughts. TpT gift cards can be used anywhere on the TpT marketplace.
- There are three (3) $10 TpT gift cards remaining in this feedback survey.
NOTE: The price of this bundle is changing as I update and add more SEOT article handouts.
- This product contains 8 TpT Zip File products and 2 TpT Google Drive products. I will be converting everything to a zip file format to make things easier.
- I will be updating answers to SEOT 004 and SEOT 005.
- Eventually, I plan to slowly add SEOT articles 008 to 020 into this bundle. NOTE: I do not have an estimated timeline for this, yet. It may be weeks, months or years.
OVER A WEEK OF LESSONS!
- Use the NO PREP New Year's Resolutions 2022 independent writing packet
- Watch the New Year's Resolution Motivation Video (SEOT 001)
- If I do everything in these videos, will I achieve my goals? Watch the answer.
- Put up the Growth Mindset Posters. Use the lesson plan/handout package so each student has a copy of the posters.
- Go through the SMART Goal Setting Lesson / Handout / Activity. Students brainstorm and create personal goals.
Go through the SEOT video lessons.
The following lessons come with a handout, discussion question, and answer key.
- SEOT Steps to Success 001 Just Start
- SEOT Steps to Success 002 Keep the streak alive!
- SEOT Steps to Success 003 Measure Progress
- SEOT Steps to Success 004 Stop, Observe Wonder
- SEOT Steps to Success 005 Stop Digging Holes
- SEOT Steps to Success 006 Fail Challenge
- SEOT Steps to Success 007 Check in
- SEOT Steps to Success 008 Get Creative
I'm trying something new: The following lessons come with a handout, discussion question, answer key, and a complete READING LESSON (with fun minds-on activity.)
- SEOT Steps to Success 009 Ask Why
- If you would like me to do something similar with the other SEOT 001 to 008 lessons, please email me at Mike@educircles.org
The following SEOT video lessons do NOT have a handout yet. As I add these products, the price of the bundle will change.
- SEOT 10: Set a timer https://youtu.be/CWhw3QglJJo
- SEOT 11: Stick to the plan https://youtu.be/h5sd2lJBJhQ
- SEOT 12: Procrastinate with purpose https://youtu.be/K-vhmkpNwgU
- SEOT 13: Visualize success https://youtu.be/lWJ2ZCGJHZE
- SEOT 14: Do the next right thing https://youtu.be/kUUrPe6_SGA
- SEOT 15: Pivot and try something new https://youtu.be/_VAMtObyLgM
- SEOT 16: Write it down https://youtu.be/qAgH9T6oIQk
- SEOT 17: Work backwards https://youtu.be/El5wZNbuQlY
- SEOT 18: Celebrate small wins https://youtu.be/JUNLn6mj-2Q
- SEOT 19: Find correlations https://youtu.be/URr7OTs97h4
- SEOT 20: Play with mistakes https://youtu.be/OBuyx3uKeIY
WHAT DO I GET IN THE PAID PRODUCT THAT ISN'T AVAILABLE FOR FREE?
- You get the complete growth mindset poster set (and not just 8 posters that are in the freebie.)
- You get the handouts and an editable version of the SMART goal-setting slideshow. (The free version is just a view-only slideshow. You can't edit it and you don't get the handouts in the free slideshow.)
- You get the handouts, discussion questions, and answers for the goal-setting videos 1 to 6.
READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY:
- Please look at the individual products to see previews of what you get.
- There are 20 goal-setting videos (see below) but this bundle only includes handouts for the first six.
- The distance learning versions of this product are Google Docs. This means the formatting of the handout will change as students type answers into the handout. (I am in the process of adding Easel by TPT.)
- If you have any questions, please ask in the Q&A section or email me at Mike@educircles.org
⭐ WARNING! NOT EVERYTHING WORKS FOR EVERYONE ALL OF THE TIME! This product may not fit your style or needs!
A teacher left behind some very valid feedback about this product.
(I've included it here in the product description below to help you make an informed decision about whether this resource is right for you.)
Please have a read to look at the concerns.
Please also look at these links below to see if these goal-setting resources fit your personal style and classroom needs:
- There is a motivational letter to students where I talk about how much money I've made since I've left teaching. (It's a real world example of a goal I'm personally working on.)
- The letter now comes in two versions (with and without the money stuff.) You can read the letter in this FREE resource.
- You can also see the original letter that the teacher had concerns about with this dropbox link.
- Here are my goal-setting lessons on YouTube.
- Here is the complete SMART goal setting slideshow lesson (view only slideshow)
If you have any questions about this product, feel free to email me at Mike@educircles.org
⭐ Here is a very valid 3-star review from Tiffany (Sep 18, 2021):
- "I think this could have been a good resource, but it was overwhelming to try to figure out where I should click, what I even had, and where to begin.
- I was a bit put off by the "I've made x amount of money since I quit my job" message.
- Aside from that, I tried the initial goal setting lesson with three different classes, ranged from 6th-9th grade, and they all nearly rioted.
- I probably won't continue with this resource."
⭐ And, here is my response to Tiffany (Sep 18, 2021):
- Hi Tiffany, thank you for coming back to leave an honest review. I appreciate it - it will help other teachers who are considering this product, and it helps me try to figure out how to make this product easier to use.
- You definitely raise several good points. I agree. It can be overwhelming with all of the different files. I am working to simplify the process, but the piece I'd love to hear more about is the part about the students nearly rioting. If you had to guess, what was it that turned off your class from buying into the idea?
- The reason why I ask is that in my experience with doing entrepreneurial adventures with Grade 7 and 8 students, I found that the idea of making money was a powerful hook - whether it be online or in other ways. I had found that many of my disengaged (male) students were hooked by the idea of making money online - which is why I tried that angle in the introduction letter here.
- Clearly, that angle failed with you and your students, so I apologize!
- When you tried the initial goal-setting lesson, are you talking about the SMART goal-setting slideshow? I would love to hear more about why you thought your students didn't buy-in.
- I fully appreciate that you are super busy. In exchange for your email thoughts, I would happy to send you a $10 TpT gift card which you can use anywhere on the TpT marketplace.
- If you're interested in telling me more, please email me at Mike@educircles.org I appreciate the review and I look forward to connecting with you if you are interested.
- Cheers, Mike
If you have any questions about this product, feel free to email me at Mike@educircles.org
NOTE: THIS BUNDLE IS BEING UPDATED and it's getting BIGGER!
- Based on feedback from teachers, I've figured out a way to make my products easier to use.
- There are too many files. So, I'm now adding a "FILE TABLE of CONTENTS" with one-click links to download only the files you need as you teach.
- To see an example of this FILE TABLE of CONTENTS in action, please check out SEOT 005: Holes (which was free for a limited time.)
- I am also in the process of slowly adding handouts for all 20 videos.
- The price of this bundle was $10
- Once everything is done, the bundle will sell for $20+
- If you buy now, you lock in the price and get all of the updates and new handouts essentially for free!
BONUS: Here are 20 optional videos about goal-setting that go well with this handout package.
Setting goals is easy. Achieving them requires work... sorry!
⭐ Teach a Growth Mindset. SAVE TIME and MONEY by using the 6 Cs / 21st Century Learning Skills MEGA bundle.
- Welcome video
- SEOT 1: Just start
- SEOT 2: Keep the streak alive
- SEOT 3: Measure progress
- SEOT 4: Stop, observe, wonder
- SEOT 5: Stop digging holes
- SEOT 6: Fail challenge
- SEOT 7: Check in
- SEOT 8: Get creative
- SEOT 9: Ask why
- SEOT 10: Set a timer
- SEOT 11: Stick to the plan
- SEOT 12: Procrastinate with purpose
- SEOT 13: Visualize success
- SEOT 14: Do the next right thing
- SEOT 15: Pivot and try something new
- SEOT 16: Write it down
- SEOT 17: Work backwards
- SEOT 18: Celebrate small wins
- SEOT 19: Find correlations
- SEOT 20: Play with mistakes
..... Do you want to do something FUN, but meaningful at the End of the Year?
- Try this SURVEY so your students can see what kind of mindset they have.
- Do these FUN CLASSROOM DEBATES - does EQUAL mean FAIR?
- Watch these VIDEOS and figure out if teamwork is the same as collaboration. (Spoiler: not always.)
- Play these COMMUNICATION GAMES to notice how communication breaks down.
- Try the DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT challenge and see what happens!
- This one is MY FAVORITE. Students have a lot of fun with the group activity in Section A. The viral video in Section D is shocking... but are we really surprised at this point?
My name is Michael Fuchigami. I'm the teacher behind Educircles.
- I want to help you SAVE HOURS of PREP.
- Sign up for the Educircles Newsletter to stay in the loop!
- TpT support has clarified that we are not allowed to include contest information in our product descriptions or anywhere else on their platform. More info.
⭐⭐⭐ Teachers around the world have DOWNLOADED over 59,727 Educircles resources!
- Check out where teachers have bought my resources (map.)
- THANK YOU to everyone who has purchased an Educircles product.
- 10% of your purchase helps students going through a tough time.
- With your help, Educircles has DONATED $9,344.68 to STUDENT MENTAL HEALTH organizations!
- Here's why I do what I do.
✅ SOCIAL and EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) in a world of Covid, Systemic Racism, and Constant Change...
- Teach students how to PIVOT when faced with obstacles and opportunities.
- BUILD character: develop resilience during uncertain times.
- EMPOWER classroom citizenship: actively participate in our school, local and global community to make the world a better place.
- THINK critically instead of reacting to fear, viral videos, or fake news.
- EVALUATE systemic discrimination in a real-world case study: how might a system impose unfair burdens on a group of people?
- Help students with SELF AWARENESS and SOCIAL AWARENESS. Start by asking your students Who is Invisible...
✅ SAVE HOURS OF PREP (and money) with a bundle!
- Reading Strategies bundle
- Goal Setting bundle
- The Educircles EVERYTHING bundle (Psst, the price goes up as I add more resources to my store.)
⭐ Why am I so passionate about 6Cs and Social-Emotional Learning? Because SEL helped save my life.
If you have questions about this product, please email Mike@educircles.org or ask below in the Q&A.