Engaging Introductions: Hook your students with food!
(Includes Interactive Notebook Activities!)
Why teach with food?
-Everyone loves to eat. My students were always thrilled when I incorporated food into a lesson (especially those who don't have full pantries at home).
-If you can connect it to a skill, then you are helping them build schema. So many students come into school with no schema and very few experiences under their belt (especially in low socio-economic schools).
-If you can connect new learning in an engaging and exciting way, I guarantee the retention rate will be a lot higher!
The Complete EAT.READ.THINK. Series (so far):
MAIN IDEA is like a DOUGHNUT
SEQUENCING is like a COOKIE
COMPARING is like BERRIES
CAUSE AND EFFECT is like an APPLE
INFERENCE is like POPCORN
MAKING CONNECTIONS is like BIRTHDAY CAKE
Eat. Read. Think. Series MEGA BUNDLE
This lesson plan and materials are built around the idea that SEQUENCING IS LIKE A COOKIE. How? Well, it doesn't matter if you are baking them or running to the store, there are steps that have to happen before a cookie is in front of you and ready to eat. Just like a cookie, there are many steps (events) that take place in a text before the ending or solution.
Table of Contents (by page):
1. Materials Guide
2. Materials Guide
3. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 1
4. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 2
5. Anchor Chart Poster
6. Mini Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks (INB)
7. Mini CLOZE Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks
8. Essential Question Poster 1
9. Essential Question Poster 2
10. Essential Question Poster 3
11. Concrete Sequencing Practice (Whole Group Poster 1)
12. Concrete Sequencing Practice (Whole Group Poster 2)
13. Concrete Sequencing Practice (Transition Words)
14. Concrete Sequencing Practice (Independent Version)
15. Abstract Sequencing Practice (Text Passage w/ Organizer)
16. Sequencing definition strip for Interactive Notebook header
17. Sentence Frame 1
18. Sentence Frame 2
19. Sequencing Graphic Organizer
20. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 1
21. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 2
22. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 3
23. Blank Exit Ticket
Language Arts Interactive Notebooks:
Grammar Interactive Notebook
Reading 2nd Edition Interactive Notebook
Main Idea Interactive Notebook
Synthesis Interactive Notebook
Historical Fiction Interactive Notebook & Anchor Chart Kit
Come see me!