PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This eight day unit on set design was created for middle grade students. Students learn about the history of set design, famous set designers, develop a critical eye about what makes up an award winning set design, create a ground plan for a story of their choosing and draw a rendering. In addition, the students must work with ratios and measuring. The first two assignments are completed individually, but then the fun begins! The students are paired up to create a model working together towards the goal. There is even room for parents to celebrate the end of the unit with your students.
Included in the unit:
• An overview of the unit for the teacher
• Rationale for teaching set design
• History of set design
• Set designer's responsibilities
• Teacher's Questions
• Warm up for day one
• Procedures for each day (8)
• Lecture notes including links
• Information about the message color conveys
• Ground plan example
• Rendering examples
• Stage curtain sheet for rendering
• Step by step directions for model building including photo examples
• Cheat sheet for various set pieces
• Assignment sheet for each step of the design process
• Exit slip prompts for 4 days
• Grade sheet
• Source Page
• Supplemental file of student assignments & notes
This is a time tested product from an award winning veteran drama teacher. I guarantee your students will finish this unit with a new appreciation of the art of set design.
Who knows? Maybe you'll inspire one of your students who will become an award winning designer as I have.
For more Dramamommaspeaks products, go to: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Dramamommaspeaks
Here are reviews of other products of mine:
"This is a great very well written resource and very good for text comprehension! Thank you!"
"This is such a wonderful and creatively made resource!"
"Love this activity! What a great way for students to work together!"
Check out other products of mine at: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Dramamommaspeaks