Before I Made History - Peter and Connie Roop
* Higher-order, quality questions from each chapter, including content and academic vocabulary.
* Perfect for guided reading, partner/group discussions, literature circles, books clubs, reading intervention, parental involvement, speaking and listening skills, etc.
Laminate cards, cut out and staple at top, insert in library pocket inside book cover. Ready to go!
I use the cards in my classroom in several different ways. One of my favorites is a strategy I found and revised to fit the cards from Gottoteach.com.
Four Corners Strategy
1. After reading a chapter of the novel, number students off to make four groups.
2. Assign a question to each corner of the room.
3. Read the questions to the whole group and give the students some "think time."
4. Allow students to choose a corner to discuss the question.
5. Representatives from each corner can share what their respective groups discussed.
• Student Choice: Students LOVE when they are given an opportunity to choose. They feel more empowered and respected, and thus take far more ownership over the outcome of the assignment.
• Various Perspectives: The students are exposed to many different view-points in their corner, which can lead to great discussions.
• Easily Prepared: After cards are cut apart, laminated, and bound, this activity requires very little preparation on the teacher's part. The teacher simply needs to decide on the four questions that he/she would like the students to discuss and then send them on their way.
• Easy Implementation: This activity can take as little as five minutes and requires no advanced set-up so teachers can use it instantaneously and then quickly return to reading the next chapter.