Welcome to the shark tank project-based learning unit. Let’s begin our entrepreneurial careers today!
Build critical thinking skills, public speaking success, and bring creativity, language arts, and economics into your classroom in a purposeful and authentic way.
Students will work in collaborative teams to solve a complex, ongoing, inquiry-based problem with a physical product for an authentic audience:
• Brainstorm a product, citing a need that will be fulfilled.
• Construct a prototype of the product.
• Generate a print advertisement for the product.
• Enter the “shark tank” to pitch the product to investors.
• Use investment capital to plan and shoot a commercial.
• “Sell” the product to classmates.
• Learn about advertising and commercials in BLENDED LEARNING opportunities.
Included are self-guided student instructions, teacher tips, rubrics, examples, a gold medal project rubric, and everything you need to start tomorrow!
Note: This unit is the project-based version of an exhaustive unit on commercials and advertising called Going Commercial. Going Commercial more in a teacher-led style—yet still full of creativity and “projects,” but not a gold medal project-based learning format. It’s huge and highly rated if you prefer that one . . . available in the Portable Gifted and Talented store.
Level: 4th through 8th grade
Time: you decide! This is a full project requiring a minimum of 6 hours.
Materials: junk drawer items, cardboard, etc.