SHORT VOWEL ACTIVITY SET consisting of 8 short vowel activities in 21 PDF documents. All activities are in color.
1. Short Vowel Bingo--Have a "caller" read out a word from the caller's cards. The players will find the word on their bingo mats and mark it. The first player to make five in a row wins the round.
2. Initial Short Vowel Sound Word Puzzles--Match together each two piece puzzle that features a word using each of the short vowel sounds at the beginning of the word.
3. Short Vowel Board Game--Draw a picture card. Say the word shown on the card. Move your token to the first available space that shows the vowel heard in the word.
4. The Missing Vowel--Write in the short vowel that is missing from each word pictured.
5. Short Vowel Dominoes--Use the picture dominoes in a way similar to regular dominoes. The only difference is you aren't matching pictures, but are matching short vowel sounds. (short a pictures must be matched to other short a pictures--even if the pics are a cap and a bat or a bell and a belt)
6. Wheel of Vowels--Say the name of each picture shown on the wheel. Decide what vowel sound you hear in each word. Place the clothespin with the correct vowel on the space. (You will need to provide the clothespins or students can just write the vowels on the apprpriate sections of the wheel.
7. Vowel Sort--Say the names of the pictures shown on the picture cards. Place each picture in the correct short vowel sound pocket. (Use the stack of cards from the short vowel board game.)
8. Long or Short--Say the name of each picture, read the two words under the picture (one long vowel word and one short vowel word) and circle the word that correctly names each picture.
Eight Short Vowel Activities by Lisa Bates
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License