SIGHT WORD BINGO
SIGHT WORD BINGO provides an effective and enjoyable way to help students recognize the most frequently encountered words in the early stages of reading. It is also suitable for reading intervention groups.
SIGHT WORD BINGO is a game for up to six players*, following similar rules to the standard game of Bingo but using words instead of numbers.
There are 10 Sets of Sight Word Bingo cards. Each Set provides word recognition practice for 30 common words. Words are arranged in order of frequency of use with the most common words being in Set 1.
CONTENTS (per Set)
• Teacher’s Instructions (including a summary of words used in the Set)
• 6 different Bingo cards
• 30 flashcards (1 for each word in the Set)
OBJECTIVE OF THE GAME
This is a game of chance. The objective is for a player to be the first to cover all 10 words on their Sight Word Bingo card.
• The caller selects at random a flash card from the chosen set, holds it up for everyone to see, then reads it aloud (at least twice).
• Students cover the word with a counter if it is on their card.
• The winner is the first player to cover all the words on his card.
Both visual channels (flashcards) and auditory channels (caller reading the words) are used to optimise learning.
LENGTH OF TIME REQUIRED
Each round takes 5-10 minutes. The number of rounds played in any one session is decided by the teacher.
* Multiple copies of the Bingo cards may be used for larger numbers of players. (This will mean multiple winners.)
20 (including instructions)