"Sit-in: How Four Friends Stood Up by Sitting Down" by Andrea Davis Pinkney is a book about the sit-ins at Woolworth's lunch counters. She tells the story of how the sit-ins began and unfolded through the 1960's in a way that elementary students can understand. It is a great story to read and help start conversations about segregation and integration. She allows students to begin to understand this very important time in American History.
* Writing Activity Prompt - Perspective
* Bubble Map (Brainstorming Activity)
* 2 Tree Maps (Adding Detail, Leveled)
* Important Vocabulary Words (prompt asks students to incorporate these into their response)
* 6 Questions to help students get started on their story
* Final Copy Paper (2 versions; 1 is formatted for support)
* Directions for the character craft (a way to display student writing)