- this skip counting game is a drama based Math activity. It's a great way to practise skip counting by 2s, 3s, 5s and 10s.
When students land on a color, they have too pick up a card and skip count in the way described. There is a set of music based activities e.g. 'Skip count from 18 to 24 like an opera singer'. There are animal noise tasks e.g. 'Oink like a pig by 3s from 25 to 34'. There is also a set of 'acting' cards, 'Give a frog a big sloppy kiss for each number from 46 to 86 by 10s'.
- For the students to practise skip counting by 2s, 3s, 5s and 10s in an enjoyable way.
- For the students to explore and discover patterns in number.
What You Need:
2 to 4 players
1 skip counting game board
3 different coloured decks of skip counting cards.
1 counter for each player
- Game board placed in center of group.
- Coloured decks individually shuffled and placed face down near the game board.
- Decide which skip counting skill the students will focus on.
Red is by 2s.
Blue is by 3s.
Orange is by 5s.
Purple is by 10s.
- Or… Have the students decide what their optimal level of learning is and practise it.
How to Play:
1. Decide who is having the first turn.
2. Player 1 throws the die and moves their counter forward the amount of spaces shown.
3. Player 1 flips a card from the same coloured pile as they landed on i.e. If they landed on a purple square they flip over a purple card etc.
4. Player 1 then performs the skip counting as outlined on the card... WITH GUSTO!
5. Player One's turn is over after performing the actions to the rest of the group’s approval.
6. Play continues to the left of each player as they repeat step 2 through 3.
7. Turns continue until one player reaches the finish line.
Included in the Download:
1 Set of Game Rules
1 Game Board
42 Skip counting action cards
So Much Fun
The actions required on the cards cause a lot of laughter in the group. Some of my favourites are:
- Cluck like a chicken. 5, 10, ___, ___, 25
- Step on hot coals for each number. 83, 85, ___, 89
- As a rapper. 50, 60, ___, ___, 90
- Washing an angry dog. 59, 69, ___, ___, 89
CHECK OUT MY MEGA BUNDLE!
- The package includes ALL
the Math and Literacy games currently in my store PLUS
every resource I create for the next YEAR
It's like a great classroom resource that just keeps on giving. :-)
CLICK HERE to see the Mother Load :-)