World War II involved children in a lot of ways, and as students read this novel set in Norway, they too get deeply involved in the tense, frequently dangerous situations. Study skills are interlaced in the Quick Quizzes as students also demonstrate their comprehension of events in the story. Included are -
- a one page geographical and historical worksheet to familiarize them with the setting.
- Quick Quizzes for every chapter, with answer keys - - two half-page quizzes per page in this packet, usable like exit tickets,
- Writing/discussion topics for many of the chapters, plus three for post-novel use - on 1/3 page task cards,
- a two page list for the teacher, with room for notes accompanies this packet,
- a word search for names in the novel,
- Teacher notes,
- a vocabulary list and spelling ladders puzzles.
Aligns with Common Core ELA RL 1,2,3,4,5,6; W 1,2,3
Please click on Preview and see a breakdown of the quiz types and three sample pages.
For a perfect companion novel, Twenty and Ten is excellent. Here is a link to my unit for it.
TWENTY and TEN Novel Study
You might also be interested in a read-aloud for a picture book by Gloria Whelan with a fantastic story about black slave children listening at the manor's windows and reporting back to their parents. Here's my product for that:
The Listeners, by Gloria Whelan
Elements of this unit conform to Common Core ELA RL1,2,3,4,5,6 and W1 and 2.