In secondary schools, classroom time is limited, and teachers often have to justify time spent on free reading. But we all know how important it is to give students time to read for pleasure. I have done extensive research on this topic, scouring dozens of research articles. From my research, I created this presentation to help teachers show their team and administrators the importance of independent reading time in the classroom. The presentation is 20 slides and should take about 30 minutes to present, depending on how much extra narration the presenter adds.
This presentation features:
• Descriptions of three types of SSR
• Student quotes taken from recent research studies
• Teacher quotes taken from recent research studies
• Ideas for motivating students and creating a reading culture
• Ideas for implementing SSR or IR in your classroom
This presentation can be shown to your grade-level team, your ELA team, or your whole school. All research article sources are cited, and all ideas presented are my own (developed from my graduate program learning and the research I have done).