Teaching both ENG I and ENG II? Save money with my STAAR ENG I and II EOC Writing bundle. Does your whole team or department needs this product? Remember to purchase additional licenses.
STAAR Writing Bundle for ENGLISH I and II EOC (Expository and Persuasive Essay Writing).
ENG II EOC STAAR - Persuasive Writing kit has 27 pages that includes:
- 5 pages of writing instructions handouts with detailed examples. It goes paragraph by paragraph.
- It has two versions on the example. One version has notes about the organizational structure.
- Tips & Common Mistakes to Avoid
- A list of transition/linking words
- A persuasive essay outline map for students who need a short structure guide
- Outline with the organization structure labeled
- Blank outline (some states allow blank organizers to be used on standardized tests)
- A list of types of evidence with definitions
- A list of 12 persuasive writing prompts
- 12 Persuasive Essay Writing Prompt Cards
- Notes for the teacher on how to use this kit
Expository Essay Kit for ENG I EOC STAAR includes 25 pages:
- 4 pages of instructions on how to write the essay. It breaks the essay down paragraph by paragraph with examples. Includes the introduction with an attention getting device and thesis statement, body paragraph structure, transitions, conclusion, etc.
- An example essay with and without a dissection of its parts
- An outline graphic organizer with the components labeled
- A blank copy of the graphic organizer (some states allow this on state tests)
- A list of common mistakes and advice
- A handy outline map to briefly remind students of the structure (handy for students with IEPs for additional handouts)
- A list of transition (linking) words for student reference
- A list of 12 expository prompts
- A set of 12 expository prompt cards that can be printed and laminated for student use
- Notes for the teacher with tips on how to use this kit.
I did not include a rubric because what you are evaluating can change greatly between standardized test, dual credit courses, or general classroom writing goals. If you are using this to prepare students to write a persuasive or expository essay on a standardized test go to your state testing website and look for a rubric. Texas STAAR has a rubric and lined writing paper for the English I and II EOC expository and persuasive essays.
+More about the writing prompt cards+
The prompt cards allow for practice with various prompts. You can print each prompt on a different color paper (the duplicate of that prompt should be the same color as the original). You can laminate them then have students choose a topic at random to write about. The second time around they merely pick a different color to ensure they get a different topic. Included is a blank set of cards for your own prompts. I suggest looking at released tests and using the persuasive writing prompts from those tests.
Expository Writing ENG I EOC STAAR Kit
Persuasive Writing ENG II EOC STAAR Kit