This power point will walk you through a 45-60 minute Engineering lesson on cantilevers. It references "Domino Diving Board" lesson from the Family Engineering book, which is why it is free.
Lesson consists of:
1) Group Discussion: What is engineering? What is a cantilever? (3 minutes)
2) Power point: Shows examples of cantilevers and previews partner activity. (12 minutes)
3) Partner Activity: Domino Diving Board (20 minutes)
4) Power point: Shows YouTube videos with strategies for students to try (5 minutes)
5) Continue partner activity (5 minutes)
6) Partner Activity 2: Try it with other classroom supplies. I put a bin of supplies at 5 different tables and let partner take their ruler and book to whichever one they wanted (connecting cubes, rods, square tiles, pattern blocks, jenga blocks) (10 minutes)