#MemoriesDeal Are you looking for learning experiences that motivate, challenge, and provide authentic learning for your students? These STEAM & STEM Challenges will engage your wide variety of learners in your classroom!
*** This Bundle Will Always Be at LEAST 25% off the total cost of the items included, if purchased individually *** As more challenges are added, the price will increase.
Solid Figure Bridge Support Challenge
This STEAM & STEM project gives a real-life scenario from an urban city where a bridge collapse occurred, following a fire. Students are challenged to test 3 different solid figure columns, triangular prism, rectangular prism, and cylinder, in order to make a recommendation as to which type of supports the new bridge should have.
Students will draw a diagram of their recommended bridge design after testing the 3 supports, and recording their data.
Students will write a letter to the governor explaining which column they suggest, and providing advice based on what they discovered during testing.
Students will use their knowledge of solid figures to compare and contrast 3D shapes using double and triple Venn-Diagrams.
Science Passage: Why Are Cylinders Strong
This passage has 3 levels of difficulty. Students will learn why cylinders are used as columns. A connection to Greek Architecture is included in the more difficult version.
Inclined Plane STEAM & STEM Challenge
Students will apply their understanding of inclined planes in this STEAM & STEM challenge. Graphic Organizers, Writing Prompts with rubric, and an Informal Assessment will enhance your simple machines unit.
• This project can easily be done at home or school.
• Two versions of the directions are included- one with a spot for a due date, and one without.
• Students are given a scenario in which they are challenged to design an inclined plane to serve as a tennis ball, ball return for a kids tennis league. They will create a brochure outlining their product to explain how their machine works in hopes of persuading the league to choose theirs.
• Students will test their products with the class and measure the length a tennis ball travels.
• Grading Rubric Included
Frayer Model Graphic Organizers
• 6 graphic organizers are included to use during lessons.
• Students will use their understanding to compare 3 simple machines. (2 Versions)
3-2-1 Informal Assessment
• These can be used with any of the 6 simple machines as a quick way to assess student understanding.
• I like to use it as a “Ticket out the door.”
Constructed Response Writing Prompts
• Students will draw on their knowledge of different simple machines to explain how they work together to create a compound machine. (2 Versions)
• Grading Rubric Included
• (5/31) Creating an Instrument- Sound: Pitch & Volume
• (6/30) Designing an Insulator- Heat/Energy
These Challenged May Be Purchased Individually
Solid Figure Bridge Support STEAM & STEM Challenge
Simple Machines Inclined Plane STEAM & STEM Challenge
♥ ♥ ♥ If you choose to purchase this product, I'd appreciate if you'd take the time to leave feedback. You'll earn credits towards future purchases :-) Win, Win! ♥ ♥ ♥