The Great Arctic Circle STEM Challenge includes 5 different STEM activities centered around the story about a group of stranded arctic explorers. After hearing the story of the failed expedition, students will read 5 diary entries. Each one will challenge them to design something to help the group make it back to base camp.
Includes the following challenges:
• Arctic Architect: Construct An Igloo
• Bundle Up: Design A Blanket
• Polar Bear Defense: Snowball Shooter
• Lookout Mountain: Build A Tower
• Lookout Mountain: Design A Parachute
Each STEM challenge includes teacher instructions, student challenge sheet, planning and design pages, and scoring rubrics. There is a set of team member role cards, design process cards, a master score sheet to find out which group is the most successful at helping the explorers, and associated NGSS standards.
These STEM challenges use common materials that you probably already have in your classroom. They incorporate concepts of linear measurement, area, force and motion, energy, properties of shapes, data, and scientific process.
Metric version available upon request.
Looking for more? You might also like:
• The Great Desert Island STEM Challenge
• The Great Pioneer Town STEM Challenge
• The Great Big STEM Challenge Bundle
Connect with Me!
• Teacher Times Two Blog
• Fishyrobb on Pinterest
• Fishyrobb on Instagram
• Fishyrobb on Facebook
• Fishyrobb on Twitter