The Great Desert Island STEM Challenge is a set of 5 different activities centered around the story of a shipwrecked traveler stranded on a deserted island. After hearing the story of the shipwreck, students will read 5 of his diary entries. Each one will challenge them to design something to help him survive and get back to civilization.
• Island Architect: Construct A Hut
• Crocodile Crossing: Build A Bridge
• Message In A Bottle: Waterproof Container
• Pirate Defense: Coconut Catapult
• Float Your Boat: Raft Design
Each STEM challenge includes teacher instructions, student challenge sheet, planning and design pages, and scoring rubrics. There is a set of team member role cards, design process cards, a master score sheet to find out which group is the most successful at saving their island visitor, and associated NGSS standards.
These STEM challenges use common materials that you probably already have in your classroom. They incorporate concepts of linear measurement, weight measurement, area, force and motion, properties of shapes, simple machines, and scientific process.
Looking for more? You might also like:
• The Great Arctic Circle STEM Challenge
• The Great Pioneer Town STEM Challenge
• The Great Big STEM Challenge Bundle
Connect with Me!
• Teacher Times Two Blog
• Fishyrobb on Pinterest
• Fishyrobb on Instagram
• Fishyrobb on Facebook
• Fishyrobb on Twitter