The Great Pioneer Town STEM Challenge is a SET of 5 different STEM activities centered around the story of a pioneer family. After hearing about their travels west in the Land Rush of 1889, students will read 5 diary entries. Each one will challenge them to design something to help the family build their new life.
Includes the following challenges:
• Thirsty Travelers: Design A Water Filter
• Home Sweet Home: Construct A Cabin
• Restless Natives: Build A Tower
• Bath Time: Solar Water Heater
• Digging A Well: Design A Rock Mover
Each STEM challenge includes teacher instructions, student challenge sheet, planning and design pages, and scoring rubrics. There is a set of team member role cards, design process cards, a master score sheet to find out which group is the most successful at helping the explorers, and associated NGSS standards.
These STEM challenges use common materials that you probably already have in your classroom. They incorporate concepts of linear measurement, area, force and motion, energy, simple machines, data, and scientific process.
Metric version available upon request.
Looking for more? You might also like:
• The Great Desert Island STEM Challenge
• The Great Arctic Circle STEM Challenge
• The Great Big STEM Challenge Bundle
Connect with Me!
• Teacher Times Two Blog
• Fishyrobb on Pinterest
• Fishyrobb on Instagram
• Fishyrobb on Facebook
• Fishyrobb on Twitter