This resource contains engaging STEM activities that align with the read aloud Those Darn Squirrels! by Adam Rubin. These activities can be used in the classroom or at home.
Students will connect to this story in a variety of fun and engaging hands-on activities!
- A minimum of 3 STEM activities to go with the read aloud story, using materials you have on hand, such as recyclables, office supplies, math manipulatives, or building blocks. STEM challenges and bonuses included in this resource:
- Abacus Design STEM Activity (place value, number systems)
- Squirrel Easel Challenge (measurement, stability)
- Scale Model Obstacle Course STEM Challenge (reading a drawing, building to scale)
- Bonus Activities
- Squirrel catapult (force and motion)
- Squirrel-proof bird feeder STEM activity (clever design!)
- Includes a variety of recording sheet options, such as graphic organizers and guided STEM challenge pages, plus self-evaluation/rubric.
- CCSS and NGSS Standards alignment
- Digital STEM journal option for Google Slides
Who can use Bookshelf STEM Junior?
- Classroom teachers
- STEM specials teachers
- Makerspace facilitators
- Homeschool parents
- Community group leaders such as girl scouts, cub scouts, and 4H
- Camp counselors - make your summer or school vacation camp a literacy-filled affair