STEM Back to School Rules FREEBIE Challenge
What a fabulous Back to School Activity this one turned out to be! To help students become familiar with our STEM classroom rules we designed a challenge using those rules! Students engineer a scene, using the materials, to show one of the rules, and then the team "teaches" the rule to the whole class! So fun!
NOTE: This challenge is available as the perfect combination with a Back to School Escape Room!
What is the challenge?
In this challenge, students will have some easy materials to use in designing a model of one of your classroom rules. Each group chooses a rule and then plans together to show the rule in action and then teach it to the rest of the class.
This challenge is included in two versions.
- In Version 1 every group receives the same materials and must create the rules model.
- In Version 2 students complete a scavenger hunt to earn their materials. For each correct answer, they will receive one of the materials! This provides an interesting twist to the challenge- especially if you do not get all the supplies! (The editable scavenger hunt is included!)
What will you need?
You will need materials in addition to this package. This includes foil, craft sticks, straws, construction paper, small cups, and masking tape.
What is included?
This package will give you a list of materials, preparation ideas, and then step-by-step procedures to make this a successful event. This is a shortened version of STEM Challenges you can find at Teachers are Terrific with only 4 pages of teacher directions and 2 pages of photos. Look for longer and more detailed instructions with the large selection of challenges right here in my store!
The package specifically includes:
- Teacher background
- Materials and preparation
- 3 pages of teacher directions
- Constraints page- editable
- Student lab sheet - editable
- Sample answer sheet
- Scavenger Hunt - editable
- 2 pages of photos
PRINTING TIP: This file is in . The non-editable pages have embedded backgrounds that cannot be changed. Only the Constraints cards and lab sheet can be edited. Before printing, you may need to save the file as a PDF.
YOUR PREP: This challenge has two versions of distributing materials. In Version 1 each team will receive the same materials. In Version 2, students complete a Scavenger Hunt first and then receive materials based on correct answers. Version 1 is the easiest to prep. Just fill the materials bins with the materials. Version 2 will take a little longer since you may have to use the editable scavenger hunt file to create a list of questions to suit your classroom.
Enjoy this freebie and please contact me if you need anything! And don't forget that this works perfectly with an Escape Room and it is included in that resource:
A similar challenge is available in a digital format:
You might also like these STEM Challenges:
What are teachers saying about this challenge?
- "What a great way to start the year and engage them and have them be a part of the rules. Thanks for making it free as well. Awesome lesson!"
- "A great student-centered idea for teaching classroom rules! A copy that can be edited is also provided."
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!