It’s great to incorporate STEM within our classrooms, but it is even better when we can teach our students how the elements of STEM can and WILL be used when they grow up! This activity will allow students to take a “peek” into the life of a paleontologist, farmer, zoo keeper, and marine biologist in order to see how science, technology, engineering, and math are not just something they study in school but also concepts that they will continue to use when they become adults and enter the work force.
How it Works:
Each occupation included in this activity should have it’s own area where the students can go to focus on the tasks presented. Each occupation will include:
- A research component about what the job consists of
- Two activities to be completed based on that occupation
- A math task that represents something that someone in that occupation may have to do on a daily basis
Other activities included in this packet:
- A quick write about which occupation they would choose based on the activities they have completed
- A graph that can be used to show how many students voted for each of the occupations
Optional Greenscreen Component:
When I complete this activity with my students I set up a “photo booth” in front of our greenscreen. I make various props for each of the occupations. Then I allow students to choose the props that go with the occupation they have chosen to write about so that I can take their pictures. I then use a greenscreen app to “input” the students into a background that matches their chosen occupation! These pictures can be used in a display on a bulletin board or I use them to create a “human graph” in the hallway along with some of their other work from throughout the day!