Take the classic STEM challenge to the next level with design optimization and math connections!
This STEM catapult challenge involves engineering, geometry, ratios, critical thinking, and teamwork in an engaging activity your students will love! Using the engineering design process along with math skills, teams of students will build two catapult designs from common materials. Each team will then test at three stations: Distance, Accuracy, and Power. Included are follow-up math problems for enhanced learning. One of my favorite STEM activities!
**Updated to include distance learning version with editable Google Slides for in-classroom and at-home learning.
Included in this product:
- Teachers guide with links to resources and photos
- Student catapult design sheet
- Editable version for Google Slides, Flipgrid, and printed STEM journal
- Editable Note to Parents
- STEM Career Connection: Mechanical Engineering & Material Engineer
- Student recording sheet for each station: accuracy, power (distance), and knocking over a tower
- Math connection problems including angles, ratios, and averages, and graphing
Materials: This challenge can be completed with common materials such as craft sticks, rubber bands, ping pong balls, newspapers, cans, etc. Video links provided for instructions on building different versions.
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥