Also included in
- What a fabulous bundle! It's a STEM Engineering Challenge Bundle featuring specific math skills! Your students will be using area and perimeter and practicing finding the mean, median, mode, and range- all with hands-on engaging activities!Please note: This package contains three lessons. Each may b$8.50$10.50Save $2.00
- If you are ready for an entire year's worth of STEM Challenges, including back-to-school activities, this set is the perfect choice. This collection of student-tested STEM Challenges for elementary students is jam-packed full of so many projects- 60 to be exact. This is all you will need for an ent$150.00$214.75Save $64.75
- It's Math and STEM time! This package contains six STEM Challenges all about using math skills. Each is listed in more detail below. I hope the opportunity to purchase this money-saving bundle will help you incorporate STEM Activities into your busy schedule!This bundle contains six challenges featu$16.50$21.00Save $4.50
Oh my goodness! Kids love this math and design challenge. From the picture book you can use with the activity to the final doghouse floor plans it is a winner! After comparing polygons and creating shapes with the greatest area, students must design their doghouse floor plan and satisfy the strict task constraints. A homework extension is included!
Please note: This challenge is available in money-saving bundles.
What is the book inspiration?
The activities found in this package were inspired by a book by Loreen Leedy called Measuring Penny. Picture books can provide the perfect starting point for so many learning activities and it works for science investigations, too. Using the book is, of course, optional. This investigation can be completed without reading the book to your class or a similar book can be substituted.
What is the challenge? This one day STEM challenge includes:
- Practice using perimeter and area
- Reading a picture book *optional (or talking about measuring perimeter and area)
- Finding a specific perimeter to use in designing polygons
- Drawing a certain number of polygons within the given perimeter and then determining the area of each
- Comparing the different shapes
- Determining which shapes have the greatest area
- Designing a dog house floor plan- with specific size rules for the area and perimeter
What is your prep?
You will need supplies in addition to this package. This includes: a copy of the book by Loreen Leedy (or a similar read aloud) and this is totally optional; cm grid paper, construction paper, glue, tape, markers, scissors, and chart paper.
In this resource, you will find
- a 4-page lesson guide with a materials and preparation list
- step-by-step procedures to follow to make this a great experience
- helpful hints are spread throughout the teacher directions giving details to help you use the challenge
- a lab sheet is provided
- a page of photos to guide the use of the package
- a page of Extensions gives ideas of continuing the activity as a whole class or in your science/math centers
- sample polygons are included to practice finding perimeter and area
- correct solutions to the design challenge are also included.
And there’s more! Two different homework assignments are included for use as homework or for in-class extensions of the challenge. One of the homework tasks has a sample answer page. Still more! You will also find a scoring rubric and a file with editable forms!
The package specifically contains Cover, Teacher Background page, Materials and Preparation page, 4 pages of Step-by-Step Procedures, Extensions page, Lab Sheet, Photo page, 5 pages with sample polygons, and choice of two bonus homework assignments, a scoring rubric, and editable forms.
You might also like these two STEM Math-Based Challenges:
NOTE: All THREE Challenge packages may be purchased in money-saving bundles:
You might also like these STEM Challenges:
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch with Teachers Are Terrific!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!