STEM Challenge Perimeter and Area Set 1
What educators are saying
Also included in
- What a fabulous bundle! It's a STEM Engineering Challenge Bundle featuring specific math skills! Your students will be using area and perimeter and practicing finding the mean, median, mode, and range- all with hands-on engaging activities!Please note: This package contains three lessons. Each may bPrice $8.50Original Price $10.50Save $2.00
- If you are ready for an entire year's worth of STEM Challenges, this set is a perfect choice. This collection of student-tested STEM Challenges for elementary students is jam-packed full of so many projects- 60 to be exact. This is all you will need for an entire school year! You have challenges ofPrice $150.00Original Price $214.00Save $64.00
- It's Math and STEM time! This package contains six STEM Challenges all about using math skills. Each is listed in more detail below. I hope the opportunity to purchase this money-saving bundle will help you incorporate STEM Activities into your busy schedule!This bundle contains six challenges featuPrice $16.50Original Price $21.00Save $4.50
- Are you looking for challenges specific to 5th grade? This is an amazing collection of student-tested STEM Activities. It includes 21 best-selling STEM Challenges and an Engineering Design Poster Set.Note: Each of the challenges is available individually and in other money-saving bundles.What is incPrice $58.00Original Price $73.50Save $15.50
If you need a fabulous resource for practicing math skills and combining a STEM Challenge here you go! This one is all about perimeter and area and using those measures to create! STEM Challenges are great activities to engage students in their learning. Research tells us that kids learn more by doing and EVEN BETTER this package adds literature to your STEM experience!
Please note: This lesson is available in money-saving bundles!
Using a Book for Inspiration
The activities found in this package were inspired by a book by Loreen Leedy called Measuring Penny. Picture books can provide the perfect starting point for so many learning activities and it works for science investigations, too. Using the book is, of course, optional. This investigation can be completed without reading the book to your class or a similar book can be substituted.
What is the challenge?
This one-day STEM challenge will have your students thinking about perimeter and area. After hearing the book read (or talking about measuring perimeter and area) students will be given a specific perimeter to use in designing a Dog Run. They must find all the combinations of sides in a rectangular shape that will create the dog run. After finding these rectangles students will also determine the area of each. Finally, they must choose which shape would make the best dog run for a dog and explain why.
But, there’s more! There is also a design challenge after students choose the best size for the dog run. They will get a chance to build a 3D model of the dog run- a tiny version! Still more! A scoring rubric has been added and all forms are editable!
What is your prep?
You will need supplies in addition to this package. This includes a copy of the book by Loreen Leedy called “Measuring Penny” (or a similar read aloud and this is optional); cm grid paper, construction paper, glue, markers, scissors, craft items, and chart paper.
In this package you will find;
- a 5-page lesson guide that provides a materials list and then step-by-step procedures to follow to make this a great experience
- a lab sheet is provided (with a sample student answer sheet)
- 2 pages of photos to guide the use of the package is included
- a page of Extensions gives ideas of continuing the activity as a whole class or in your science/math centers
- a homework idea is included with a sheet ready for you to use.
You might also like these two STEM Math-Based Challenges:
Note: All three Challenge packages may be purchased in money-saving bundles:
You might also like these STEM Challenges:
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies, and product launches:
Click here to follow my store. It’s that easy to receive email updates about Teachers Are Terrific!
Keep in Touch!
Thank you so much,
Teachers Really are Terrific!