Also included in
- Engage your students with these week-long STEM Life Science challenges. The STEM bundle comes with 12 student-led STEM activities.What's Included in Each STEM Project• The 21st-century problem includes a video challenge which outlines the activity in a fun and easy to understand way.• The slideshow$119.00$156.00Save $37.00
Engage your students with this week-long STEM challenge.
Millions of Attwater's prairie chickens roamed the coastal prairies of Texas and Louisiana back in the 1900s. Since the 1960s, though, these birds have been on the endangered species list due to their very small populations. The Houston Zoo has been working successfully to breed these birds in captivity since 1993, but when the birds are released back into the wild, their populations keep shrinking. Currently, there are less than 50 birds in the native population! You are tasked with building a prototype of an enclosure that biologists can use in the wild as they investigate the birds' survival. You will need to consider where the birds live, their daily patterns, and how you will blend in with the habitat so as not to disturb them. Good luck on your endeavor!
• The 21st-century problem includes a video challenge which outlines the activity in a fun and easy to understand way.
• The slideshow presentation (PPT) allows the teacher to facilitate the pacing throughout the project.
• The teacher lesson plans include TEKS and NGSS standards alignment, and step-by-step directions on what the teacher and students should be doing along the way.
• The student notebook will guide the student through the activity. The questions will challenge students to learn new information, reflect on learned information, and provide the students a framework for the entire project.
• Each lesson is written using the Launch process. Students are going to be brainstorming with their peers and reflecting on failures and opportunities. At the end of each project, we’ve asked the students to share their ideas with the world. This holds students accountable. They will put forth the best effort knowing other students could critique the project.
What Supplies Do I Need
Each product contains a list of suggested supplies for the project. We were very cautious about choosing inexpensive items. This project has a suggested supply list that includes:
· Toilet paper/paper towel tubes
· Pipe cleaners
· Plastic garbage bags
· Plastic baggies
· Coffee filters
· Rubber bands
· Craft sticks
· Shoe box
The supply list is dynamic and can be adjusted to your situation.
NGSS and TEKS Standards
Supports these Next Generation Science Standards:
Use argument based on empirical evidence and scientific reasoning to support an explanation for how characteristic animal behaviors and specialized plant structures affect the probability of successful reproduction of animals and plants respectively.
Construct an argument supported by empirical evidence that shows changes to physical or biological components of an ecosystem affect populations.
Define the criteria and constraints of a design problem with sufficient precision to ensure a successful solution, taking into account relevant scientific principles and potential impacts on people and the natural environment that may limit possible solutions.
Evaluate competing design solutions using a systematic process to determine how well they meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
Analyze data from tests to determine similarities and differences among several design solutions to identify the best characteristics of each that can be combined into a new solution to better meet the criteria for success.
Develop a model to generate data for iterative testing and modification of a proposed object, tool, or process such that an optimal design can be achieved.
Supports this Texas TEKS:
Explore how short and long-term environmental changes affect organisms and traits in subsequent populations.
Connect with Kesler Science
Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the red ‘Follow Me’ next to my Seller picture to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales.
Blog - Kesler Science Lessons Blog for more great activities and freebies.
Follow me on Twitter @iamkesler
Great info and freebies on Facebook /keslerscience
Copyright © Chris Kesler. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.