Also included in
- Engage your students with these week-long STEM challenges. The STEM bundle comes with 12 student-led STEM activities.What's Included in Each STEM Project• The 21st-century problem includes a video challenge which outlines the activity in a fun and easy to understand way.• The slideshow presentation$119.00$156.00Save $37.00
According to the current literature somewhere between 140,000 and 328,000 birds die each year from collisions with wind turbines. The public is demanding a better solution to this form of energy. As the lead engineer for a major wind turbine manufacturer, you have been challenged to decrease the bird fatalities by 20% with new windmill design. What is already being done to prevent bird collisions? How can you improve the design? Does every solution have to include changing the basic design of the wind turbine? Can your solution be retrofitted to existing turbines? A prototype needs to be developed and submitted to the CEO for approval. You've wanted to make an impact your entire life. The opportunity is now! Good luck.
• The 21st-century problem includes a video challenge which outlines the activity in a fun and easy to understand way.
• The slideshow presentation (PPT and Keynote) allows the teacher to facilitate the pacing throughout the project.
• The teacher lesson plans include TEKS and NGSS standards alignment, and step-by-step directions on what the teacher and students should be doing along the way.
• The student notebook will guide the student through the activity. The questions will challenge students to learn new information, reflect on learned information, and provide the students a framework for the entire project.
• Each lesson is written using the Launch process. Students are going to be brainstorming with their peers and reflecting on failures and opportunities. At the end of each project, we’ve asked the students to share their ideas with the world. This holds students accountable. They will put forth the best effort knowing other students could critique the project.
What Supplies Do I Need?
Each product contains a list of suggested supplies for the project. We were very cautious about choosing inexpensive items. This project has a suggested supply list that includes: Tape, Glue, Scissors, Popsicle Sticks, Pipe Cleaners, Paper Towel or Toilet Paper Tubes, Brads, Clay, Cardboard, Paper, Baggies, Rubber Bands, Toothpicks, Clothespins, Index Cards
The supply list is dynamic and can be adjusted to your situation.
NGSS and TEKS Standards
Aside from the engineering components of this project, students will be learning about how humans can have a negative impact on the environment.
NGSS: MS-ETS1-1, MS-ETS1-2, MS-ETS1-3, MS-ETS1-4, MS-ESS3-3
Other STEM Challenges
Project: Rocket Launch - Create Rocket That is Ready for Launch
Project: Birdman - Design a Bird Beak for a Feeding Frenzy
Project: Electric - Design a System to Harness Wave Energy
Project: Hurricane Defender - Build a Hurricane Proof House
Project: Inhabit Mars - Build a Landing Device for Mars
Project: Lunar Base - Design a Lunar Colony
Project: Move - Design a Pulley System To Move a Heavy Load
Project: Save the Oceans - Design a Device to Clean the Oceans
Project: Skydive - Design a Parachute For Your New Business
Project: Thrills - Design A Fast and Furious Roller Coaster
Project: Wind and Sky - Create a 21st Century Turbine
Project: Explore Mars - Create a Space Probe for a MARS Mission
STEM Challenge Bundle 20% off
Connect with Kesler Science
Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the red ‘Follow Me’ next to my Seller picture to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales.
Blog - Kesler Science Lessons Blog for more great activities and freebies.
Follow me on Twitter @iamkesler
Great info and freebies on Facebook /keslerscience
Copyright © Chris Kesler. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.