This STEM activity will have students applying their math skills by surveying their classmates to find out the average size of a family in their class.
Once they have this information, student can design and build a car to fit the classes 'average' family.
Great STEM engineering TEAM BUILDING activities for Back to School.
Combining Science, Engineering, Math and real world Problem Solving
Students will learn
* how many students are in their class
* how to survey the class
* how to calculate the average of a set of numbers
* how to apply a set of data to a Real World Problem
* how to reflect on the data - what does it tell them?
* how to build and design with constraints such as materials and time
* how to evaluate their design and make inprovements
* how to plan and test their design
NGSS and Australian Curriculum LINKS
* INCLUDED *
Color and Greyscale Cards ------
- Extension ideas
- Student Guide to calculate the average
- Survey Sheet
- Student Guide to track progression
- My Data reflection worksheet
- STEM challenge task card
- STEM challenge reflection questions
-Supplies List (see preview for details of supplies needed).
These cards best suit grades 3 to 6
With guidance they can be used for younger grades and with more time restrictions or when using the extension suggestions they can be used for older grades also. See the differentiation suggestions on the teacher guide.
The design questions allow students to build on how they analyze and evaluate their own designs. By the end of the challenges it is expected that students should be able to better verbalize and explain their learning.
For STEM Task Cards Bundle TRAVEL AROUND the WORLD
For STEM Task Cards PIRATE CHALLENGES
Follow My StoreCURIOSITY and the HUNGRY MIND