Also included in
- Launch your students into STEM with these space-themed STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process. This mega bundle includes 14 engaging STEM activities for space activities and design challenges all year long! Also included is the popular Mars Colony Design Project where studen$59.78$85.40Save $25.62
Updated to include a digital STEM journal for distance learning.
This engaging STEM challenge is a fun way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! Students use the engineering design process and explore the forces of gravity and air resistance to design a drag device to slow down a payload. This challenge uses a ping pong ball to represent a rover landing on Mars. The rover must remain inside an uncovered cup during drop and impact testing.
This hands-on activity is an engaging design challenge that allows students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect math topics to real-world applications. As a student-driven assignment, the purpose of the teacher is to act as a facilitator. You will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building a device to deposit a rover into the lunar crater. Our students have loved this activity, and we know yours will too!
This packet includes:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Student handouts to guide them through the design process
- Editable Google Slides STEM Journal for distance learning
- Student recording sheet for each step of the process
- Math connection problems include average and speed calculations, surface area, and unit conversions.
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or after school program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥