This STEM Engineering Challenge incorporates asking questions, planning a project, and identifying solutions. Students will build and test their selected solution and write up their results and conclusions. The package includes teacher instructions, planning sheets, design pages, scoring sheets, and student lab data sheets.
This STEM Challenge uses a simple story line - The student and a friend get lost snowboarding down a mountain. They end up in Bigfoot country and need to use whatever materials are available to save themselves from Bigfoot and get back to civilization.
They will learn about, and build, items which cover two concepts, Simple machines (levers, in this case), and buoyancy, where they have to build a boat. A list of available tools and material that they can use is provided. Information and forms are provided to help the students do the following:
1. Ask questions to identify the problem that needs to be solved
2. Develop potential solutions
3. Select the best solution (Decide what they can do with the given materials and tools)
4. Design and build the project
5. Test the item and make changes if needed
6. Put the project into action
7. Write a final report on what they did, how their items performed, and what they learned
Next Generation Science standards
3 -5 ETS1.A