Mystery Box Design Challenge is an engaging way to integrate engineering challenges into your classroom. Students select a random design challenge related to the Earth. Students build a prototype out of only the materials available in their mystery box. Students write a paragraph about explaining the problem and how their design solves the problem. The challenges can take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour.
Mystery Box Design Challenge – Earth Day can be used individually or in small groups. Use as a warm-up, at activity centers, for differentiation, or as an entire class lesson. There are 6 challenges included in this guide, enough to fill your Earth Day celebration. Stretch your students minds and engineering skills with these fun activities.
The activities here are part of a full year of design challenges available in the S.T.E.M. Engineering Design Challenge: Mystery Box (Full Year)
Included in this FREE Guide
- 6 Ready-to-use design problems for students
- Student handouts including directions and write-up template
- Teacher's guide with step-by-step instructions for multiple ways to use
- Suggestions for extensions
You may also like:
● Global Warming Awards: A cross-curricular project in global warming
● Progressive Era: Quick and Easy Newspaper
● Earth Day: Discovering and Inspiring artists who recycle and reuse materials
● Civil Rights Movement: Quick and Easy Newspaper
● Earth Day: Global Warming and Climate Change by the Numbers
● ”Protest”ant “Reform”ation: rethinking the Protestant Reformation and a Lesson in Social Justice
● Tessellations: Mathematics meets Art (common core aligned)
● End of Year: Middle School Self-Reflection Cube (also available for high school)
● Self-Reflection Writing and Art Activity for 11th Graders
(Available for other grades as well; just click on Letter to... in the subject area of the store.)
Coming soon…Engineering Challenge Full Year of Projects, MathAntics Algebra Scavenger Hunt, and much, much more.
Pay it Forward
- Please consider paying it forward for this free product you are enjoying.
- Click on the provide feedback button. Quickly rate the product and leave a quick note.
- Each time you give feedback, you earn credit to spend on future purchases.
Get the Scoop
Find out about weekly deals, sales, product launches, free stuff and giveaways by clicking on the follow me
star above. (Only 1 email from me to my followers per month, max!)