STEM Engineering Challenges - Design Thinking - Stem Activities
Also included in
- This NGSS Bundle for 4th grade will provide your students with a year's worth of engaging science lessons, readings, worksheets, slideshows, labs, games, and more! Fourth-grade students will love these NGSS aligned activities! You Save 20% by purchasing them here together. These resources are specifPrice $85.35Original Price $106.69Save $21.34
- This science bundle for third grade covers the entire year! You save 20% by purchasing together! This NGSS Bundle for third grade is packed full of great lessons, investigations, labs, and close readings with nonfiction passages to meet the NGSS and CCSS standards for 3rd grade! Covers all NGSS stanPrice $81.56Original Price $101.95Save $20.39
- This is a year-long bundle for 5th grade NGSS. This bundle covers all the standards for the year for fifth-grade NGSS. Save 20% by purchasing this bundle. These resources will engage students in hands-on lessons in the 5 E format. Get resources for science by someone that really understands the NexPrice $90.16Original Price $116.14Save $25.98
- This fourth-grade NGSS science bundle includes all of my resources for 4th-grade NGSS. It also includes fourth-grade resources for reading informational text. Teachers and school districts will love this Huge fourth-grade NGSS Bundle with a wide variety of labs, centers, nonfiction articles, and morPrice $137.51Original Price $171.89Save $34.38
- This third-grade science bundle includes all of my resources for third-grade NGSS,as well as third-grade resources for reading informational text. Save 20% by purchasing this huge bundle. Teachers and school districts will love this third-grade Huge NGSS Bundle with a wide variety of labs, centers,Price $144.36Original Price $180.45Save $36.09
- This NGSS 5th-grade bundle covers the entire year of NGSS standards for fifth grade. This bundle also includes reading informational text units with a science theme. Purchase in the bundle and save 20%. You will love this great bundle for fifth-grade science. Get NGSS Resources from someone who undePrice $128.31Original Price $160.39Save $32.08
- NGSS Fourth Grade Bundle: This bundle covers all the standards for NGSS 4th grade for the entire year. If you teach fourth grade in an NGSS state, you need this bundle! Do you want an NGSS 4th Grade Science Bundle from someone who really understands NGSS? My resources use phenomena to engage studentPrice $79.56Original Price $85.40Save $5.84
- This bundle includes my STEM engineering resources for upper elementary and middle school. You can save 20% by purchasing these resources here together. Each resource has students using design thinking to develop solutions. This set is perfect for a STEM class, an after-school engineering program, oPrice $51.80Original Price $64.75Save $12.95
Students will love these STEM Challenges! Teachers will love that the materials for STEM Engineering challenges are inexpensive and easy to find. These NGSS STEM activities will have students using engineering design thinking and conducting fair tests for these engineering challenges. Great for Summer STEM Activities!
- Sound Sandwich
- Stacking Cups Challenge
- Zipline Challenge
- Ping Pong Ball Launcher
- Balloon Rescue
- Float the Boat
- Build a Bridge
NGSS STEM Engineering Challenges for 3rd through 6th grade!
Students will watch a slideshow about Fair Tests and variables. Students will learn about fair testing, variables, and design thinking. Students will create a prototype, test it, and record the results, students will then adjust the design by changing the independent variable. Test the new design and record the results.
Great for STEM camps, Science Camps, Summer Science, School Programs, and in-class activities.
This resource includes 8 different STEM challenges. Each challenge has a lesson plan in the 5 E format with photos of student work samples. Each lesson also has a response page that goes with it.
Students will use critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and creativity in these fun activities.
This resource is designed to meet the NGSS standards for 3rd-5th grade.
3-5-ETS1-1. Define a simple design problem reflecting a need or a want that includes specified criteria for success and constraints on materials, time, or cost.
3-5-ETS1-2. Generate and compare multiple possible solutions to a problem based on how well each is likely to meet the criteria and constraints of the problem.
3-5-ETS1-3. Plan and carry out fair tests in which variables are controlled and failure points are considered to identify aspects of a model or prototype that can be improved.
Students will use ALL Science and Engineering Practices
- Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering)
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering)
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
Students will enjoy these easy to do STEM Challenges
Resource created by Lynda R. Williams
* My resources are secure and not editable for copyright reasons.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
You can see some ideas for making a ping pong ball launcher here.
Please see my other resources for NGSS