In this hands on STEAM challenge students have to engineer a Mars rover that can land safely with "expensive scientific equipment".
- Research Mars and think about what the surface of Mars is like
- Research NASA Mars rovers and luna landers
- Mindmap possible ideas in collaborative learning teams
- Draw initial schematic designs (labelled scientific diagram/engineer plan)
- Create a prototype of their Mars Rover
- Test and reflect on their design
We used eggs as a measure of how the Mars rover kept the scientific equipment safe but you could do anything you like. I also used EV3 robots to build, code and drive rovers in my Y5/6 class.
The .ppt has links to sites, videos and lesson notes (slide notes)
Credits to Smart Chick for her free STEM team roles - I use them all the time and LOVE them!