Also included in
- Space Lander Distance Learning Engineering Design STEM Activity: Students use the engineering design process to create a lander to safely keep their “astronauts” safely inside a cup as it is dropped from various heights. The challenge incorporates key science concepts of shock-absorption, drag force$6.40$8.00Save $1.60
- Launch your students into STEM with these space-themed STEM challenges that incorporate the engineering design process. This mega bundle includes engaging STEM activities for space activities and design challenges all year long! Updated for distance learning with instructional videos and digital STE$145.72$182.15Save $36.43
- GROWING bundle for Digital STEM challenges for Middle School! Perfect to support distance learning and hybrid classrooms using the engineering design challenges and looking for hands-on activites. 20% off individual products!Lessons include: Complete Teacher Guide: Detailed teacher guide with links$95.52$119.40Save $23.88
Updated for distance learning! Click here for an instructional video and digital and printed STEM journals.
The combination of marshmallows (or ping pong balls) and aliens makes this a winning STEM challenge! With the Space Lander Challenge, student teams build a lander using the Engineering Design Process to keep two marshmallow "aliens" or "astronauts" inside a cup as it is dropped from various heights. Using straws, index cards, and mini marshmallows or cotton balls, students apply concepts of shock-absorption, drag forces, and stability, to create and test designs. A surprise ending challenge helps students learn from their failures too! The included Common Core aligned math extension problems help students analyze solutions and connect the challenge to real-world scenarios.
Update: This product now has 3 options that connect students to real world STEM! Follow the story line by choosing between aliens, the Moon, or Mars as a theme. This product includes handouts describing the Apollo and Artemis missions to the Moon as well as the exploration and future of humans on Mars! This is the perfect way to connect to current events in space exploration.
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities. As one of our go-to STEM challenges, we have used the STEM Space Lander Challenge in elementary through high school levels with great success!
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- STEM Career Connections
- Real-world STEM history and science handouts
- Student handouts to guide them through the engineering design process
- Student recording sheet for each step of the process
- Math connection problems including angles, ratios, geometry, and graphing
Looking for more STEM lessons? Find the Vivify resource guide here: bit.ly/VivifyResourceGuide
About STEM Challenges: Click here to learn more about the 3 Stages of STEM. STEM challenges are an engaging way to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! These hands-on activities allow students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect science topics to real-world applications. The teacher will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their own device.
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥