The combination of marshmallows and aliens makes this a winning STEM challenge! With the Space Lander Challenge, student teams build a lander using the Engineering Design Process to keep two marshmallow "aliens" inside a cup as it is dropped from various heights. Using straws, index cards, and mini marshmallows, students apply concepts of shock-absorption, drag forces, and stability, to create and test designs. Common Core aligned math extension problems help students analyze solutions and connect the challenge to real-world scenarios.
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities. As one of our go-to STEM challenges, we have used the STEM Space Lander Challenge in elementary through high school levels with great success!
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Student handouts to guide them through the design process
- Student recording sheet for each step of the process
- Math connection problems including angles, ratios, geometry, and graphing
• Click the Green ★ to follow our store and get notifications of new products and freebies
• Leave feedback to receive TpT credit for use on future purchases
• Questions? Contact us in the Product Q&A section
♥ Connect With Us ♥