The combination of marshmallows and aliens makes this a winning STEM challenge! With the Space Lander Challenge, student teams build a lander using the Engineering Design Process to keep two marshmallow "aliens" inside a cup as it is dropped from various heights. Using straws, index cards, and mini marshmallows, students apply concepts of shock-absorption, drag forces, and stability, to create and test designs. Common Core aligned math extension problems help students analyze solutions and connect the challenge to real-world scenarios.
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities. As one of our go-to STEM challenges, we have used the STEM Space Lander Challenge in elementary through high school levels with great success!
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with links to resources
- Student handouts to guide them through the design process
- Student recording sheet for each step of the process
- Math connection problems including angles, ratios, geometry, and graphing
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about new discounts, freebies and product launches!
Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.
Check Out Our Related Products!
• Science and Engineering STEM Critical Thinking Challenges
• Science & Engineering Careers BINGO Game
• Math and Sports STEM Activities/Project: Ratios and Proportions
• Math and Music Activity/Project: Ratios and Proportions
• STEM Catapult Challenge