Celebrate Pi Day on March 14th with this Rover Challenge STEM activity or use it anytime to incorporate the engineering design process into your classroom or afterschool program! Students will build a rubber band powered rover to complete an exciting mission. They will then practice using Pi to analyze their design with imaginative math extension questions.
This hands-on activity is an engaging design challenge that allows students to work in teams, apply the engineering design process, and connect math topics to real-world applications. As a student-driven assignment, the purpose of the teacher is to act as a facilitator. You will provide the structure to the project, but students will take an active role in designing and building their sailboats. Our students have loved this activity, and we know yours will too!
As with many STEM activities that are student-driven, this challenge can be tailored to students of various skill levels and abilities.
Included in this product:
- Detailed teachers guide with construction details and pictures, and links to additional resources
- Handouts about the constant Pi
- Career Connection highlighting various STEM careers and how they use Pi
- Handout discussing kinetic and potential energy as well as the simple machine used in this activity: wheel and axle
- Student handouts to guide them through the design process
- Student recording sheet for each step of the process
- Math connection problems including ratios, geometry using Pi, and graphing
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about new discounts, freebies and product launches!
Look for the green star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. You will then receive customized email updates about this store.