PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This exciting unit is designed to help kindergarteners dig deeper into the book by Dashka Slater. The book is on the Sunshine State Young Readers Award Jr. (SSYRA Jr.) 2018-2019 book list and goes well with Harcourt Journeys Unit Lesson 8 Why do different animals move in different ways? Each activity can be used whole group or as a station. Ideas on how to manage the activities as stations along with photos are included. I have enclosed both common core and Florida standards for each activity.
1. There are 12 colorful opposite cards. There is also an activity page for students to show what they know.
2. The writing station includes pictures of all the animals in the book. Several different writing activities are included.
3. To strengthen vocabulary, students sort the foods into fruits or vegetable categories.
4. Both the word building and beginning sounds stations use letters that look like cheese. The letters can be attached to clothespins for strengthening small motors. There are 26 alphabet cards. This activity is very similar to my Unit. You can use the same clips, but the cards are different. There is a 2nd letter sound activity where children match snail shells to the snail body.
5. At the word building station, students build eight -ad and -am words and complete an activity sheet.
Check out the preview for more details.
Check out my blog on ideas for setting up stations and using the materials. https://coogleitinkindergarten.blogspot.com/