During a lesson about natural disaster’s and what should be included inside of a prepared safety kit, our class made a informational book to help use remember which items are important to pack inside of a prepared safety kit and why we should pack these items.
First, as a class we reviewed the natural disasters we have been learning and we went over what a safety kit was. I made sure to talk about why it is very important to have a safety kit already prepared.
1) Print out the object cards (in color or black and white) and cut them out. I placed all the object cards into a brown paper bag. I allowed each student to grab one card. (Every student should have a different object on their card)
2) Print out the writing prompt handout and hand one to each student
3) Have the students glue their object card onto the “glue item here” spot on the safety kit.
4) Have the student answer the statement below
5) Collect all the student work and bind the pages together to create a class book.
I added this book to our classroom library for future reference.