Why not give your students important practice using place value while celebrating a St. Patrick's Day?
In this activity the students will count collections of place value blocks and then color their answer with a corresponding color. It is like a color by numbers only using place value blocks and a 100s chart.
Place value is a very important concept for primary children to work on. Being able to relate numbers to corresponding images, such as place value blocks, will greatly help them with their addition and subtraction work, especially when they start working with two digit numbers.
This file contains two pages:
1) A page with a blank 100s chart and place value images for the students to count to create the rainbow & pot of gold image.
2) An answer key showing the final image of a rainbow flowing into a pot of gold.
3) A page with a blank 100s chart and place value images for the students to count to create the leprechaun face.
4) An answer key showing the final image of a leprechaun.
There are many great St. Patrick's Day books available that would be a great match with this lesson including:
1) Jamie O'Rourke And The Big Potato by Tomie dePaola
2) The Night Before Saint Patrick's Day by Natasha Wing
3) The Leprechaun's Gold by Pamela Duncan Edwards
These worksheets are also available as an 8.5x11 file
. If you are unable to print 11x17, these would be a much better option. In the 8.5x11 size the 100s chart and place value clue sheet are printed separately.
Please visit my store to get that file as well as see many more Math Mystery pictures for various themes, seasons, & holidays! Math Mystery pictures are available for practice in place value, multiplication, addition, subtraction, and more.
This rainbow mystery sheet
and my leprechaun place value mystery sheet
are available separately for only $1.00. Or you could get one of my leprechaun mystery pages in the categories of addition
, or multiplication
. What a super way to allow all children to work on the same project but at their own skill level!
Math mystery pictures are great for in-class practice, fun homework, or projects for the class to do with a substitute teacher.
* Be sure to hit the 'follow me' button to keep up to date on all my exciting upcoming releases.