Salt In His Shoes by Deloris Jordan Lesson Plan and Google Activities
1st - 4th, Homeschool
- Google Apps™
Includes Google Apps™
The Teacher-Author indicated this resource includes assets from Google Workspace (e.g. docs, slides, etc.).
Also included in
- Save BIG with this guided reading or interactive read aloud lesson plan and activities bundle for February's Black History Month. Great titles to teach your first grade students that are about famous African Americans throughout history and more! Titles chosen specifically for your students to celePrice $11.00Original Price $15.00Save $4.00
A guided reading or interactive read aloud lesson plan for the biography mentor text picture book Salt In His Shoes: Michael Jordan In Pursuit Of a Dream by Deloris Jordan and Roslyn M. Jordan and Kadir Nelson. This is a great book for teaching about perseverance / grit, growth mindset, and hard work. Google Slides presentation and student activities on Google Docs.
Lessons and activities focus on:
- Summarizing key details (4 strategies: narrative retell, timeline, graphic organizer, Somebody Wanted But Then So)
- close reading for analyzing character traits
- describing author's craft of showing character feelings
- author's message / lesson
- Main idea and details
- Comparing and contrasting but can easily be modified for other uses
The lesson plans include:
- teacher script with strategic stopping points and questions for students to discuss
- printable prompts for student post-reading responses through discussion in writing or reading response logs
- 4-5 day plan
- Discussion questions
- Suggested discussion strategies
- Strategic stopping points for questioning and close reading
- Anchor chart examples
- Sentence stems / frames for oracy and vocabulary development
- Great for bilingual classrooms
- Printable worksheets for written responses
- Google Docs for student responses
- Google Slides for displaying lesson ideas, discussion questions and prompts
How to Use This Resource:
- whole group
- small group
- as a reading intervention
- special education (SPED)
- bilingual or Dual Language / DLI classrooms
- with ELLs for ESL instruction
- Great for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade
- Google Classroom Distance learning / virtual learning
- on chromebooks or iPads for tech classrooms to go paperless
Your first, second, third, or fourth grade students will love this story!
✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭
You May Also Like:
Report this resource to TPT
Reported resources will be reviewed by our team. Report this resource to let us know if this resource violates TPT’s content guidelines.
to see state-specific standards (only available in the US).
With prompting and support, ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
With prompting and support, retell familiar stories, including key details.
With prompting and support, identify characters, settings, and major events in a story.
Ask and answer questions about unknown words in a text.
Recognize common types of texts (e.g., storybooks, poems).