Sam and Friends Take Home Phonics Books (3 Free!)
These decodable take-home books are perfect for guided reading and homework.
"Just what my struggling middle school and high school readers need!"
"By the way, I got Sam and Friends a few weeks ago, and I love it. I teach ESL in S Korea. Phonics is poorly taught here, so teaching phonics means going back to square one. Fortunately, Sam and Friends does that and speeds up pretty quickly. I also like that I can send it home and not charge the parents - we all love that. I like it a lot! It's also not about something stupid, like cats and dogs."
4th Grade ESL
The 54 Sam and Friends Take Home Phonics Books (blackline masters) have been designed to supplement a systematic and explicit phonics program for beginning and remedial readers. Each illustrated eight-page book focuses on one sound with the most common sound-spelling patterns and two high-utility sight words. The sound-spellings are the same as those used in the Open Court reading program. Pennington Publishing’s remedial reading curriculum, Teaching Reading Strategies (available here on TpT), uses the same research-based instructional scope and sequence.
The books are illustrated by master cartoonist, David Rickert. The cartoons are designed to be appreciated by both older remedial readers and younger beginning readers. The teenage characters are multi-ethnic and the stories reinforce positive values and character development. Your students (and parents) will love these fun, heart-warming, and comical stories about the adventures of Sam and his friends: Tom, Kit, and Deb. Oh, and also that crazy dog, Pug.
Additionally, each take home book includes five SCRIP comprehension questions (Summary, Connect, Re-think, Interpret, Predict) to promote internal monitoring of text. The comprehension questions are ideal for teacher and/or parent guided reading instruction, readers’ workshop, literacy centers, and literature circles.
Plus, each take home book includes a 30 second word fluency practice on the focus sound-spellings and sight words with a systematic review of previously introduced sound-spellings and sight words.
Teachers are licensed to copy and distribute all 54 of these economical blackline master take home books for their own students. Each book has eight pages in 5.5 x 8.5 inch booklet form. Books are formatted to be copied back to back on two separate 8.5 x 11 pages for easy copying and collation. Just one fold creates the take home books. Staple if you wish.
Design and Instructional Components
* The Sam and Friends Take Home Phonics Books have been organized into five collections:
Collection A: Short Vowels and Consonants
Collection B: Consonant Blends and Digraphs (Part 1)
Collection C: Consonant Blends and Digraphs (Part 2)
Collection D: Long Vowels and Silent Final e
Collection E: r-controlled Vowels and Diphthongs
Collection F Syllable Juncture and Derivational Influences
* The books are designed with highly decodable text to help readers learn, practice, and develop reliance upon the alphabetic code. Decodable means that a high percentage of words are phonetically regular. Perfect for Tier I and Tier II RtI, special education, ELD and SDAIE classes, and traditional reading intervention classes.
* The SCRIP comprehension strategies (Summary, Connect, Re-think, Interpret, Predict) are embedded within the text pages, not placed at the end of the book.
* The stories use non-predictable, non-repetitious, and non-patterned language to minimize over-reliance upon context clues and knowledge of text structure. The texts limit idiomatic expressions (ideal for English-language learners). Students will learn the alphabetic code with these books.
* The back page of each book introduces the focus sound-spellings and sight words and also includes a 30 second word fluency practice with phonics and sight words review.
* The books do not require a separate teacher’s guide. All instructional activities are included in the books themselves.
* These books are fun to read and fun to teach!
The author of the Sam and Friends Take Home Phonics Books, Mark Pennington, is an M.A. Reading Specialist. Mark has taught reading intervention classes at the elementary, middle school, high school, and community college level. He is also the author of the flexible and comprehensive Teaching Reading Strategies (available here on TpT) reading intervention program. The illustrator, David Rickert, teaches high school English and has many fine products here on TpT.