This product is an introduction to the history of samurai. Included are 2 versions of note taking pages and a completed note page, 12 slide slideshow with color photos and clear explanations, a facebook project page, 4 pages to create a scrapbook, and a rubric to assess the projects/ assignments.
Topics covered in this product:
Rise of the Samurai
Bow and Arrow
Seppuku (Ritual suicide)
Highly Cultured Samurai
~ No Prep ~ Options for differentiation ~ Rubric included ~ Interactive lecture format ~
Suggestions for Interactive Lecture:
* Using the blank note taking format with space for sketches (blank boxes next to each topic), pause after sharing information from each slide.
* Direct students to sketch something in the box that will help them remember the key facts for the topic.
* Throughout the lesson/lecture, vary the way you engage students to share their thinking:
- Bobby, what do you believe is the most important things to know about bushido?
- Take a moment to share your sketch with the people at your table.
- Raise your hand if you found someone who draw a picture similar to yours.
- Nancy, what did you draw for swords? How about you Ed? And Jimmy? And Margie?
- Look at your sketch for armor. Raise your hand if you drew a person wearing armor.
- Now, raise your hand if you drew a close-up of the lamellar.
- Raise your hand if you included the label lamellar.
- Raise your hand if you drew something to show the change from plate armor to lamellar armor.
Other ways to use the slideshow:
* Set up a computer with the slideshow as a station for students to rotate through with stations for other topics (See my Japan mapping activity for another station activity!)
Japan Mapping Practice (mapping, answer key included)
* Students can work independently on individual devices by viewing the slideshow and taking notes.
* Absent students can view the slideshow to catch up to lessons when they return (can be emailed home or shared via file sharing programs).
Assessment/ Assignment/ Project:
* Two options for assignments are included with this project.
- Students create a facebook page for a samurai. What photos would he include? Who would his friends be? What posts would he have on his page?
- Students create a scrapbook for a samurai. On each page the student adds photos, drawings, memorabilia, writings, and other keepsakes for a samurai.
* A sample rubric/scoring guide is included. This rubric can be used with both project choices and provides flexibility. You can require students include each topic discussed or direct students to include at least 8 or 9 of the topics (which provides student choice and requires critical thinking/evaluating). You can use the bottom row for a total number of points or to add another grading criteria such spelling.
The critical thinking rubric included in this product is also available in other formats free from my TpT store:
Critical Thinking Rubric (suitable for all subject areas)