Also included in
- I LOVE Astronomy! One of my life's missions is to help more people understand the wonders of space and appreciate the Earth. I hope these Astronomy resources will find a home in your classroom and spark curiosity and excitement in your students.This zipped folder will include all of my present and$225.00$283.00Save $58.00
- If you are overwhelmed or intimidated by teaching Astronomy or Space Science you are in luck! This bundle of resources includes everything you could ever ask for: lesson plans, PowerPoint presentations, student notes, practice questions, formative assessment pieces, and creative activities. BONUS: A$145.00$180.00Save $35.00
Everything you need to teach about Satellites! This bundle of resources includes a lesson plan, PowerPoint, student notes, practice questions and a cool GPS activity – almost everything is editable! Through this lesson students will learn about the natural satellites (moons) in the solar system; the artificial satellites humans have created; the benefits and uses of artificial satellites; how mass and gravity influence orbit; the types of orbits maintained by satellites orbiting Earth.
Student learning goals for the Satellites Lesson:
- Define and describe the natural satellites in the solar system
- Define and describe the artificial satellites in the solar system and their benefits (including GPS, ISS and Hubble Space Telescope)
- Explain how satellites achieve orbit, and the different types of orbit
This lesson can be broken across 2-3 days depending on the length of your class period.
Please examine the images and preview above to see how this resource can help you and your students.
In the zipped file, you will receive:
★ 2-page lesson plan (PDF and editable Microsoft Word).
★ 23-slide editable PowerPoint presentation with hyperlinks to YouTube videos.
★ 4-page editable student notes plus 2 pages of homework (PDF and editable Microsoft Word) that coordinate with the PowerPoint in a fill-in-the-blank style. There are 8 homework/practice questions (4 pages of notes, 2 pages of homework questions). A teacher version with blanks filled in is also provided in both file types.
★ 21 pages of editable task cards that can be used as formative assessments. 8 pages of quick checks to be used during class and 8 pages of retrieval practice questions to be later in the unit. For ease of use, these are included as all-different on a page, and all-the-same on a page (PDF file and editable PowerPoint file so you can add your own too!).
★ Global Positioning System (GPS) Trilateration Activity. Students examine a simplified version of the Global Positioning System. Three satellites will tell the students how far something is from 3 cities. After using a scale and drawing three circles on a map, students will find the intersection of the three circles to determine the position and the nearest city. Activity includes an example, 2 practice questions, and an opportunity for students to create a GPS question for a classmate. PDF, 5 student pages, 3 answer key pages.
ALMOST ALL RESOURCES ARE EDITABLE: The PowerPoint, lesson plans, student and teacher notes, homework, and bell ringers are all editable. Only the GPS activity is a non-editable PDF file to comply with clip artists' copyright.
This lesson can further be supported by the Satellites Doodle Note.
If you are interested in using the doodle notes with these lessons your best value is to purchase the Astronomy Growing Bundle. This bundle includes all the lessons, PowerPoint presentations, practice and activities as well as all the doodle notes and anchor charts. When additional lessons are added, you can be notified by following my store.
You can see the other resources in the Astronomy all-in-one Lesson Bundle by clicking the links below. Please follow my store for notifications when new resources are added to the bundle.