Who doesn't LOVE Scaredy Squirrel?
I can't wait for the children to work together to make the acorn treats (Hershey's kiss, mini wafer, pretzels, and a dab of icing)......Yummers!
This is the a perfect book study to begin the year or anytime you want to instill a "can do" attitude in your children. It's a hilarious icebreaker!
Summary from Sweet On Books..........This is a perfect story for an apprehensive child. It is reassuring in it's â€¨message that new experiences don't always turn out to be so bad, â€¨no matter how much we fear them.
Scaredy is a neurotic little squirrel who also happens to be hilarious. Scaredy Squirrel is about a charming little squirrel who would rather stay in his safe, sometimes boring, tree that brave the elements. Until one day he falls out of the tree, and without his emergency preparedness kit! This was not part of the carefully laid out plan in the event of an emergency. Shockingly (to Scaredy), nothing disastrous befalls him: no tarantulas, no killerbees, and not even the hint of a green martian!
This is a multi-book study (Scaredy Squirrel, Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend, Scaredy Squirrel at Night, and Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach)
that covers the following standards:
* An Emergency Kit for Scaredy Squirrel practicing comprehension and
creating a diagram
* The Perfect Day using clocks to make a schedule
* Writing text-to-self connection
* Words that Paint a Picture visualizing
* The Perfect Escape Plan making a map
* The Perfect Escape Plan writing to explain
* Making Predictions
* Using a Venn Diagram compare/contrast stories
* Cause and Effect cut and paste
* Character Analysis
* Writing Poetry
* Creating a Map synthesizing meaning of text
* Making Inferences
* Retelling a Story
* Vocabulary Fun abc order, synonyms, antonyms, meaning
* Ideas & Resource List snacks, craftivities, websites
This unit is designed for AG First Graders, and 2nd, 3rd.
Thank you so much for looking! I appreciate your business and feedback.
P.S. Wouldn't it be too cute to have the children make acorn photo frames with their pix from the first day of school as an Open House gift and display their Scaredy Squirrel work?