Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
1.44 MB | 35 pages
The Scarlet Ibis Short Story Bundle 35 Pages
This is a very comprehensive bundle with 35 pages of instructional resources and activities related to the short story, The Scarlet Ibis by James Hurst. I have broken the story into two parts and I have created instructional materials for both parts of the short story. This unit was designed to give the teacher choice. I don’t expect that you will be able to use everything. Activities include,
1) Two separate scavenger hunts for information activities: There are a total of 59 active reading scavenger hunt questions where students actively hunt for information while they read. These scavenger hunts are meant to enhance enjoyment and check for understanding. They are always a hit with my high school kids. Answer sheets are included.
2) A Comprehensive set of guide questions and Quotes activity
a) Students answer questions and analyze the significance of important quotes from the story. Answer keys are included.
3) A Word Detective/Word Attack vocabulary activities.
In these activities, students act as vocabulary detectives using their word attack skills to determine the meaning, of new words in context using actual dialogues and narration from the story. They are also asked to provide synonyms and identify parts of speech. Answer sheets are again included.
4) A comprehensive crossword puzzle related to characters, events, vocabulary, and figurative language of the story.
5) A Short Story Map Graphic Organizer: An active reading graphic organizer that helps your students analyze the plot and conflict in the story
6) A Wanted Poster Graphic Organize: Students must decide who is to blame for Doodle's death, They design a wanted poster and illustrate the culprit's image and describe the elements of the crime. This is a fun and creative post reading activity.
You can also access my store at