Fun facts about some of the most amazing animals and plants on Earth, accompanied by activity worksheets.
This product includes a 20-Slide PowerPoint of the Mother Nature Awards for Planet Earth and 44 pages of activity worksheets for students in grades 2 - 5.
These fun slides give awards for the biggest animal, the smallest animal, the fastest growing plant, the most disgusting camouflage, the ugliest animal, the most poisonous animal, and more!
Includes 44 pages of worksheets for Grades 2 - 5
Includes a 12 page Teacher Guide.
PLEASE NOTE: I also have a Mother Nature Award listing for grades 6-12. It comes with a worksheet for students to use to conduct research to make a PowerPoint presentation of a Mother Nature Award of their own design. The grade 6-12 listing can be viewed here by clicking on this link.
Thank you for purchasing my product! In my classes, I love to throw out bits and pieces of science trivia while teaching. The “Mother Nature Awards for the Planet Earth” started on a whim, but has grown into a most enjoyable part of my class. My students love it, and it helps to keep their interest when the subject matter being taught doesn’t! I came up with the idea of the “Mother Nature Awards” as a way to offer a little “surprise” in the middle of an unrelated topic. I most often teach by using PowerPoint, and I began to insert a Mother Nature Award slide in the middle of my PowerPoints. It gives the students a much needed “brain break” and allows them to have a few minutes to relax in the middle of a difficult topic. We make a few comments about the pictures and the fun facts, and then we get back to work.
What is a Mother Nature Award?
I select plants and animals that are weird, unique, amazing or have some characteristic that will make my students say “COOL!” This product contains PowerPoint slides of 20 pretty cool plants and animals.
Once a slide has been viewed in my class, I print it, laminate it and place it on display in my classroom. My students look at them all the time!
How might you use the Mother Nature Awards?
For elementary students in grades 2 - 5, I have included two sets of worksheets that you can use.
Fact Recording Worksheets:
1. The set includes 22 pages of worksheets.
2. Students can use these worksheets to make a Mother Nature Award book.
3. There is one worksheet for each slide of the PowerPoint.
4. Students will copy the facts onto their worksheet.
5. Black line drawings are included on each worksheet for the student to color.
6. A title page is included that can be colored and decorated.
7. A final summary worksheet is included for student reflection.
8. Use only the slides and/or worksheets you want.
Fact Recording Worksheets With Additional Problems:
1. These worksheets require more work on the part of the student.
2. The worksheet has room for the student to copy the facts, but each worksheet requires a bit of additional work.
3. The student may have to define a key vocabulary word, use a vocabulary word in a new sentence, solve a math problem, or conduct research to answer a question.
4. The set includes 22 worksheets. There is one worksheet for each slide of the PowerPoint, a title page, and a final summary worksheet for student reflection.
You might also be interested in:
Insect Dichotomous Key Activity
Amy Brown - Science Stuff