Life Science Common Core Close Reading Activity:
Chemical Cuisine: Learn About Food Additives
I use this article at the beginning of the year when we are learning about scientific method and doing the Skittles Lab. Student learn the steps of scientific method then read about the everyday ingredients in the candy they eat. Students learn to look closer at food labels and are encouraged to think about what they consume. This relevant and intriguing Science Works article is the perfect introduction for encouraging common core closer reading techniques. Informative reading with text based questions asks students to seek evidence and write meta-cognitive markers for use in citations.
Your students will be using text complexity to recognize purpose, text structure, language features and more. This is a real world topic students want to know more about.
1. Close reading Article handout, Chemical Cuisine: Learn About Food Additives with space for meta-cognitive markers.
2. Common Core close reading handout with “Cold” and “Warm” reading activities.
3. Common Core Close reading handout with,”Hot” read activity.
4. Students Handout with Meta-cognitive marker description and directions
5. Exit Ticket, or Close activity. Possible partner discussion sentence starters.