This handout gives an overview of the different types of fresh water - groundwater, and water in lakes, rivers and oceans (seawater). It also discusses issues with water conservation such as the contamination of groundwater and water treatments such as desalination. At the end of the handout, a student worksheet with questions and an answer key is provided. After reading through this material students will be able to answer the following questions:
1. List the different sources of drinkable fresh water.
2. Explain why we must efficiently use and manage our water.
3. Why can’t humans consume water from oceans?
4. How is water stored in the ground and extracted for human consumption?
5. Describe the effects of urban living on groundwater replenishment.
A shortened version of the handout is available for viewing.