I developed this quick and easy lab activity to teach my middle school students about common lab equipment, safety procedures and how to work together in a lab. It’s also specifically designed to help them practice the hardest skill of all – following directions! The activity is quite safe since the only substances used are water, food coloring, vinegar and baking soda.
What’s included in this mini-lesson?
1. Lesson directions
2. “Following Directions Science Lab Challenge” student worksheet
3. “Assess your lab skills” student worksheet
4. “Match the lab equipment with its description” student worksheet (can be used before or after the activity)
5. Answer keys
The objectives of this activity are for students to be able to:
• Follow step-by-step directions in a lab
• Identify common lab supplies and their uses
• Cooperate with group members to complete a lab activity
• Explain basic safety practices that must be followed when doing a lab