Science Lesson Plans contains the following classroom lesson plans created to be used in Science classes:
Lesson Plan: Science Fair Unit
Description: This unit will introduce the students to the steps in the scientific method. The steps are as follows:
• State a question
• Research the question
• Form a hypothesis
• Design an experiment or test of the hypothesis with a constant and a variable
• Collect data
• Analyze data
• Make and evaluate a conclusion
This unit will also give the students practical experience in using the scientific method with hands-on science projects (problems). It will challenge the students to analyze data, reason from cause to effect, and use artistic skills for displaying their projects. Science concepts and computer technology will be integrated into the unit. The science fair will give the students experience in displaying and presenting their science projects to the public (classmates and parents).
The lesson plan includes the following: Description, Materials/Hardware/Software, Teacher Preparation, Schedule Form for Science Fair, Student Preparation, Activities/Procedures, Management Plan, Assessment/Evaluation, Follow-up Activities, Science Fair Rubric.
Lesson Plan: Bridge Builders
Subject: Science, Math
Description: This lesson follows up an introduction of key terms on the topic of forces and motion. Students will have applied these terms by completing a research planner on the topic of suspension bridges.
In this lesson students will complete the following objectives:
• Students will learn the meaning of structural force and find examples of these on the Internet or they may draw pictures of examples (i.e. pyramid)
• Students will examine which materials have been used and are now being used in the construction of bridges
• Students will review the three categories of bridges: beam, arch, and suspension
• Students will study about the history of famous bridges including the cultural, economic, political, and environmental impact these bridges have had
• Students will look at some of more famous bridge building disasters
• Students will prepare a design brief in preparation of constructing their own bridges
• Students will construct their own bridges from kits provided
• Students will reflect and share ideas for improving bridge building in the future
This lesson plan contains the following: Description, Curriculum Connection, Material/Hardware/Software, Sample Websites, Teacher Preparation, Student Preparation, Activities/Procedures, Management Plan, Assessment/Evaluation, Follow-up Activities, Bridge Building Reflection Paper Rubric.